Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest standish honda

Engine Oil

12 posts in this topic

Is there any concensous of opinion on what engine oil suits the X11, the old forum has a thread on it that sugests a semi synthetic oil, i will be changing mine in the next few weeks along with the filter, on the old forum there was talk of Motul being used, does anyone have a favourite flavour?

I always liked Comma SynerG 5w40 fully synthetic myself.... only after 5k miles plus tho.

I always use Rock Oil fully synthetic - after 8k miles though.

Pete

Amsoil 10w 40 is my prefered tipple fully synthetic.

http://www.bestsynthetic.com/

Wayne.

Chaps,

When you say "only after 5K, 8K though" do you mean let the engine bed in first and then change to fully synthetic or are you saying extend the oil change intervals?

Brian

Let engine bed in.

Pete

Hi all ive been using Castrol GP fully synthetic and changing at about 3.5k , it seems to just be starting to get dirty at 3.5k. its been on castrol semi synthetic since new so just upped it to fully synthetic at 8k.

The reason for not using fully synthetic oil too early in the life of an engine is because it wiil cause the bores to glaze before theyve had time to bed in and the glazing will cause the engine to burn oil.

I was talking to a BMW dealer and he was saying lots of guys that run GSs will run them on synthetic from nearly new to age/run the engine in quicker. seems everyone has a favourite brand but all agree that full synth is the way to go. Filters? anything to particularly avoid?

I always fit genuine Honda filter as I dont trust the quality of pattern parts.

Ditto.

Pete