Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mick

Air Filter

6 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

will be changing the air filter soon and wondered if you have any thoughts on the standard or a "sports" type filter?

I had a K&N on my bike when i bought it, it ran ok, then i was having a chat with John the guy that runs jaws, he related some dyno tests they had been doing on blackbirds, in his opinion the K&N did nothing for the blackbird, the OEM filter was better. I have a HiFlo (paper filter) in mine right now and can honestly say there is no difference between that and the K&N. Obviously K&N marketing shpeel relates to cost savings over a lifetime as you only have to clean their filter but the oil and cleaning fluid is not exactly cheap. I think the same applies for Pipercross and DNA filters.They possibly make a difference if you run a performance engine with gas flowed head that needs optimum flow through it but on a road bike i think it is all a bit of a con.

Yep, agreed.

I use airline oil on my k&n... because I have that lying about and I'm thrifty!

Cheers guys, that sorts that out.

I bought the K&N service kit a few weeks back for my cars. In the kit you get the spray on cleaner which you let soak in for 10mins, then rinse it off under the tap, dry it and finally use the aerosol oil in the kit to lightly oil the thing.

Does actually work aswell, gets the filter clean quite good. I paid £9.99 for mine.

In the bike i just have the standard Honda air filter. :)

I read a study some years ago in the US and it came to the conclusion that a hi-flo paper filter actually flowed more air than the others. The downside was that it clogged 9got dirty) faster and once it did, it flowed less than the others. So, I put in paper elements and replace them often. For the few quid every month or 2 and the feeling (knowledge?) my engine is running clean and clear, I think it's worth it.

Agree too that on a high performance racing engine when tenths of bhp and torque may matter to win a race there might be a difference buton the street in teh regular world, it probably goes unnoticed.