Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dandirt

Yamaha TDM

13 posts in this topic

Hi all....

....well, having sold my X11 back in January I've had a few outings on my new(to me) Yam TDM and have to say it was the right move for me at my time of life. Don't get me wrong, I had great fun with my X for nigh on six years but I needed something a bit lighter and more manoev.... manuve....manoover.... easier to turn !

28cge3k.jpg

View across Windermere at Fell Foot

I'm finding the TDM much lighter and more manageable.....the turning lock in particular is a vast improvement and the riding position is more 'sit up and take a look around'. Power is down, of course, but with a top end of around 135mph and brisk rather than frightening accleleration, I don't really need anything more.

w6vcdx.jpg

So far I've fitted a four inch higher Givi touring screen (as in the piccy), a front fender extender, a Givi top box and the optional Yamaha centre stand kit. Just a set of heated grips to fit now and the bike is just about perfect for me.

For longer distance touring or tight twisty roads in supreme comfort the TDM excels - plenty of go but with a whisper of 'adventure bike' about it and all with a 62mpg return on fuel consumption.

Overall verdict......highly recommended.

Dan

Looks good Dan!

More suited to your old bones too... :twisted:

Seriously considering one myself Mr Dirt. Getting a numb bum on the X.

What's the Yamaha finish like? A mate of mine has a Yam BT1100 and the paint is just falling of that, especially on the engine.

S

'Old bones' is right Eddy, some serious creaking setting in now :D Haven't done any dirt bikin' for over a year now either, since I twisted my knee at the Hafren Rally.....took me soddin' months to get over it !!

Seriously considering one myself Mr Dirt. Getting a numb bum on the X.

What's the Yamaha finish like? A mate of mine has a Yam BT1100 and the paint is just falling of that, especially on the engine.

S

The finish seems ok Richard. Mines a '07 bike with 10k on it and the previous owner had no garage so it lived it's first 18 months outside. I think he must've drenched it in WD40 or ACF50 or Waxoyl or summat coz it was right grubby when I got it but a couple of hours with some degreaser and solvol and it's come up like new. There's a small amount of wrinkling of engine paint where it takes the blast from the front wheel but I've now fitted a fender extender so hopefully that's taken care of now. Other than that I can't honestly say that there's any other corrosion or paint damage. The exhaust is all stainless as you would expect and when you look at older models for sale there doesn't seem to be any issues with the finish. The 900's were made from '02 on with, I think, no significant changes, just year on year colour and detail mods up until abs was introduced for the '09 models (I think).

http://www.carpe-tdm.net/ipb/ is the place for all things TDM.

Dan

Hi dan i heard they are very snatchy low in the rev range,but if you mod the airbox it smooths it out.

Hi dan i heard they are very snatchy low in the rev range,but if you mod the airbox it smooths it out.

Yep, you're spot on, they do chug around a bit at low revs but, as you say, the air box mod improves things no end. It was one of the first things I did, dead easy and only takes a minute or so. Also there is a tendency, very, very occasionally, to cut out for no reason, usually at traffic lights. It's happened to me twice since I got it in January. Reminds me very much of my old Honda Firestorm which used to do exactly the same thing and the engine feels very similar as well. Must be a 'big twin' thing - just call it 'character'

Dan

Yep, you're spot on, they do chug around a bit at low revs but, as you say, the air box mod improves things no end. It was one of the first things I did, dead easy and only takes a minute or so. Also there is a tendency, very, very occasionally, to cut out for no reason, usually at traffic lights. It's happened to me twice since I got it in January. Reminds me very much of my old Honda Firestorm which used to do exactly the same thing and the engine feels very similar as well. Must be a 'big twin' thing - just call it 'character'

Dan

mate had the same with his tlr was loose plugs.

have you fixed the turbulence with the new screen? I had a Mk2 850 which was great but had terrible wind noise and 'nodding dog', especially with a pillion......I'd consider a 900, especially if the low rev running can so easily be improved ;)

I don't have a problem with turbulence but I'm not tall - 5'8'' - I regularly use it on the motorway for 50 mile journeys and I can't say it's a quiet ride but it doesn't bother me.

If I needed any less wind blast I would just go in the car :rolleyes:

cheers

Dan

Thread revival!

If anyone is interested in a Yamaha TDM900, I would be up for working some sort of trade

I have a 2007 TDM900 in white in fantastic condition, full history, good tyres/sprockets/chain

IMAG0046.jpg

The only thing I will remove is the Givi rails, want to see if I can modify to fit an X-11

For sale at £3400 - no offers

Well, seven years later and I still have the TDM - did a continental trip on it down to the Stelvio Pass last year and we've just booked the ferry over to do another jaunt in June. The TDM has to be my favourite bike I've owned, it just does everything I want it to.

Just for a laugh I've treated myself to a new bike for this year to keep the TDM company - a very ridiculous Harley V Rod...

12541122_1666678233621876_89534815051987

Dan

The main thing is to enjoy your biking, the machine is secondary.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the TDM. It seems as confused about what it is as I am. If they had put that engine into a proper adventure bike they would have created an almost perfect machine. Imagine that 900cc, proven, engine fitted into a modified Tenere 660 frame. That thing would have been amazing.