Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest happytorque

Dirty or clean engine oil?

5 posts in this topic

Now then! My X11 has just completed its last 4,000 miles on a sump full of Castrol 10W/40 and hasnt burt a single drop. The strange thing is, it hasnt turned black either. In fact its amazingly clean and looks lovely golden and clear, as though it was put in the bike this afternoon. Is this normal, because i have never known any engine go 4,000miles without the oil showing a degree of coulour change?

Cheers, :x11red::z_uk2:

Trev

On my old one I used to leave it the full 8,000 miles (as per the service shedule) and it'd be as clean on draining as it was out of the can!

New filter at every change tho... they're only a tenner.

cheers Eddy, I was beginning to think the oil wasnt doing its job but it must be a normal thing. Wear must be nil.....X11's should last for ever then i guess?! BTW I think this is post number 21 for me now. Cheers mate. Trev :x11red::z_uk2:

Aye, under-stressed motor... so no worries.

Even if you don't do the 8,000 change it every year anyway.

If you use a good quality (5w40 API SL) fully synthetic (after 5,000 mls plus) you'll probably never need your tappet shims doing either.

I've amended your post count but I did ask folk to reply with their old details etc...

I'll be doing my first oil/filter change on my bike at the start of the season (2,5 k since last one) and will be using Rock Oil fully synthetic - always used this on my bikes and it seems pretty good.

Pete