Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest lcoverdale38

Spare key?

26 posts in this topic

When I bought my bike it only came with one key and that one is a bit bent!!

How easy is it to get another one cut and what is the process in getting it recognised by the HISS?. I thought that it would be just a matter of going into any key place and getting a spare cut but after doing a bit of research it doesnt seem that simple?

You buy a spare key from your dealer, go and get it cut, go back to your dealer and get it added to the hiss module... it can have 4 keys in memory at one time.

thanks for that, just a couple of queries though.

How do i know if there have been 4 keys alread programmed in?, I guess they wouldnt work otherwise?

When you say get it added to the HISS module, is this just inserting the key in a certain sequence to that the HISS recognises this.?

I bought my bike privately, so would any Honda Dealer do this for me and what do you think the cost might be?

cheers for the help Eddy

Surely any Honda dealer would do it for you. You MUST purchase a genuine Honda "chipped" key (35121-MBW-601) It's doubtful that 4 keys have been matched already. Get the key cut as Eddy says to the pattern of your existing key, then go back to your dealer who will be able to match your new key to your bike's HISS system. I don't believe its possible for you to DIY the coding process. Ask your dealer how much to do the coding before you get involved.He'll probably have a standard price.......Steve

Thanks Steve, much appreciated.

I will pop to my local honda dealer tommorrow to find out the cost and get a key

It may be possible to "code" it your self, i have done it couple of times but i dont remember exact way, tomorrow i will be wiser when i see it from my work computer.

Okay, i was wrong, you will need a adapter wire to do it.

Adding a Spare Key

First check that this procedure is the same as the workshop manual for the model

you are adding a key to.

Step 1: Cut a new key

Copy-cut the new key using the original key or to the

key number.

Step 2: Connect ADAPTER 07XMZ-MBW0101

The coupler of the ignition pulse generator is located above the crankcase, behind the

cylinder block. The fuel tank can be raised to reach it easier. Connect the adapter to the

battery

Step 3: Switch ON with OK key =>

The Adapter is available from David Silver Spares on special order

if you lose the key number you will have to change the petrol cap and seat lock also as they match also :flush:

The really bad news is that if you lose that one bent key, you will need to replace the ECU as well as all the locks as the ECU and the key are paired so the bike will not start (will turn over but HISS locks out the fuel supply and ignition circuit through the ECU).Now for the scary bit, a new replacment ECU will cost in the region of

Hey Luke, can you not straighten your key in a vice or summat?

I only have one key for my x11 aswell.:(

The key isnt too bent so i cant use it but worried that it may get to that point and im a little scared if i end up losing it because of the consequences, my closest honda dealer is around 30 miles away so i think im going to make a visit to get something sorted before i regret it

Raeman...dont you worry that you might lose your only key?:o

The key isnt too bent so i cant use it but worried that it may get to that point and im a little scared if i end up losing it because of the consequences, my closest honda dealer is around 30 miles away so i think im going to make a visit to get something sorted before i regret it

Raeman...dont you worry that you might lose your only key?:o

think it may be worth it bud ;)

And treat your only key like gold as you can see the consequences are dire. not worth the rist of only having one key, nobody perfect and anything can happen. :flush:

Think it's time i got a replacement key done then!:doh:

The adaptor for programming is just 2 wires - disconnect the Ignition Pulse Generator from the loom (Red Connector) connect the solid YELLOW wire of the LOOM (ECU) side to +ve of battery and the white/yellow to the -ve .

That will save you over

May seem a bit stupid - but I removed the HISS completely - took about an hour and cost

you could always get a plain blank cutt from a keysmiths then remove the hiss unit from your yokes , placing it under the tank with your bent key stuck to it with a cable tie or tape.

Both the above are fine but if your insurance finds out don

Both the above are fine but if your insurance finds out don

They should have known that the x11 has H.I.S.S as standard....Then again it's insurance companies eh?:doh:

what can i say stupid bint must have been blond had to explain it when she asked if any anti theft devises fitted like an alarm. I said no just HISS as standard and alarmed disc locks front and back.

She then said quote oh ye see that for that model what is HISS :doh:

I enlightened and was advised then that should help take the price down. so to be honest not sure if helped or not as never got price before all this was done?:confused:

Ho Hum :BangHead:

The adaptor for programming is just 2 wires - disconnect the Ignition Pulse Generator from the loom (Red Connector) connect the solid YELLOW wire of the LOOM (ECU) side to +ve of battery and the white/yellow to the -ve .

That will save you over �20

Could anybody please do a picture of plug, that needs to be connected with battery "+" and "-"? I also have just one key, and would like to code a spare one.

It goes to the 2 pin connector for the Ignition Pulse Generator on the harness side. This is found in the rubber boot at the rear of the engine, with a bunch of others.

The part number for the tool/adapter is 07XMZ-MBW0100

OK, I found this plug today, but access to it is very tight without tank removal. You can operate only with one hand, from the right side of bike. Anyway, thanks. Now I'm going to purchase new blank key.

Both my keys are slightly twisted and need a bit of wiggling to put in the ignition. I was going to try and straighten them but thought i'd probably end up doing more damage. So bought 2 blanks off ebay for 1.99 (non chip keys) and had them cut. I now just hold the original key against the new one to start the bike. It does mean having to carry both keys but their on the same keyring so not really a problem.

You could always cut the key bit off and stick the chip end inside the headlight shell... it does away with the HISS protection like, for what it's worth.