Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest kraftwerk

Slight stutter / misfire problem

35 posts in this topic

My X11 (1999, 9.5k miles) seems to have developed a bit of a stutter / misfire. I can feel it hesitate under part-throttle and it seems to get worse as the bike gets hot.

I ran through a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner but it seems not have made any difference.

Any ideas received with thanks.

lots of those injector type cleaners are better for ppm rather than a good clean, they don't seem to have the solvents to shift a lot of residues. Have a look at BG44 on www.powerenhancer.co.uk site, it explains quite a few related things, not the cheapest but probably more effective.

Is the stutter a recent/sudden thing, does it occur right through the rev range or is it specific to say 2.5-3k on the tacho? Has your tank been run into reserve prior to this happening?

Are you getting any blinks from the FI light, with the side stand down and the engine on?

lots of those injector type cleaners are better for ppm rather than a good clean, they don't seem to have the solvents to shift a lot of residues. Have a look at BG44 on www.powerenhancer.co.uk site, it explains quite a few related things, not the cheapest but probably more effective.

Is the stutter a recent/sudden thing, does it occur right through the rev range or is it specific to say 2.5-3k on the tacho? Has your tank been run into reserve prior to this happening?

Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a try.

It's not recent - been happenng a few months, actually. I only use the bike on my 10-mile-each-way commute, so it's not a big deal but a bit of an annoyance. Only happens at lower revs. I always fill up pretty much as soon as the light comes on.

Most do it around 3k it`s worse because of the small throttle opening.

It only started happening after nearly a year of trouble-free ownership.

try plugs or pos throttle poss switch take it to a dyno banjax sorted my one out

It sounds like due to the age and low milage it may be plugs breaking down , I would say that is the first thing to try.

My X11 (1999, 9.5k miles) seems to have developed a bit of a stutter / misfire. I can feel it hesitate under part-throttle and it seems to get worse as the bike gets hot.

I ran through a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner but it seems not have made any difference.

Any ideas received with thanks.

pos plug or coil throttle pos switch i took mine to banjax mc and they put it on the dyno and sorted it out

Check your battery terminal connections are tight....Steve

Thanks for all the tips. Much appreciated.

Have just bought some BG44. Fingers crossed.

Can this be true? Received BG44 today - great service, received within 24 hours, but at that price, they want to provide good service - and added it to my tank this evening before my 10-mile commute home.

I'm sure the bike feels better already. No lumpy tickover, no stutter on part-throttle and it even feels like it's revving a bit more freely.

I wasn't expecting such an instant result. Am I imagining it?!

Can this be true? Received BG44 today - great service, received within 24 hours, but at that price, they want to provide good service - and added it to my tank this evening before my 10-mile commute home.

I'm sure the bike feels better already. No lumpy tickover, no stutter on part-throttle and it even feels like it's revving a bit more freely.

I wasn't expecting such an instant result. Am I imagining it?!

Result then, although i would still check the plugs.

The solve might only be a short term fix if the plugs are getting tired.

9.5k is little mileage but those plugs may have been in for 10yrs now so could well be dirty?

I changed mine at 7.5k and i think those were the originals on a 2001 bike.

Maybe give it a good thrash up the m/way to clean it out a bit.:D

possibly the type of mileage is not conducive to the motor an the build up of residues in the fuel injection system added to carbon build up in the cylinders and valves has just culminated in the problems experienced. A good blow out now and again maybe a good idea.If the product is as good as it's billing (i believe it is having used it myself) then it is a cheap cure every so often.

Usually those fuel system cleaners removes allso water, that feels allmost instantly.

You can get little bit of water in your system easily, if you take fuel from station that have dirty tanks or those has just filled up, then all the dirt is "on move".

Well, it's five days since I added the BG44 and I'm definitely feeling the benefits. The stuttering has gone, the lumpy tickover is banished and the bike feels brilliant. I'm going to change the plugs anyway, but what a difference.

Thanks, Standish. I'll be buying a few more cans for my other bikes and car.

you can't help be sceptical (well i can't) when you read the write ups that some of these so called products get. As you say for that price you would expect a good result. Interesting thing would be to actually be able to do the combustion chamber inspection to verify if what they sat is true. Glad you are pleased with it, there is nowt worse than a bad recommendation. If it is true about all those other injector cleaners then i might have been throwing money away all these years. Seafoam is something that gets good write ups but i think that is only available in the U.S.

I'm a natural optimist, so skepticism doesn't come so easily, but I couldn't have wished for such a dramatic and instant result. I'd been worrying about the problem for a while, thinking it was going to cost me major money, but luckily the bloke who services my bikes (Dan at Central Bikes in the West End - highly recommended) isn't one to insist on spending before the simple solutions are sought.

Maybe I spoke too soon... The BG44 definitely had the desired effect for a few weeks, but the problem re-appeared. No worse than before, but back all the same. Last week, I got another can of BG44 and tried again - and again I felt an improvement almost immediately, but the problem has returned.

Any ideas on what my next course of action should be? The bike's not unrideable but it is an annoying condition, however I don't really want to spend hundreds if I can avoid it.

I would take it to a Dyno place to get it checked out, they will be able to tell you of any fueling and ignition issues that may be there, if you tell them the revs that its worse they can replicate it on the dyno and see

Does the problem lie with where you buy your fuel from? Maybe if its the same place they could have water in their underground tanks,its been known to have happened before.

Thanks Fe5ta, maybe i'll do that.

Kenko, I don't buy fuel from one specific place, but it's an interesting theory.

It may pay you to take the tank off and clean it out , the bg44 may be compensating for poor fuel ignition due to water in your tank.

Must buy myself some of those, erm... what do you call them? Spanners, that's it.