Nog

Bodgit and Scarper

5 posts in this topic

Well......as you all know I bought my X11 just a couple of weeks back. To say I love it is an understatement.......HOWEVER......after taking her for a short sharp blast last week, I was a tad narked to find my left boot bathed in oil.......and it took me back to my schoolboy days on my old 1957 BSA A7 Shooting Star. 

I had seen that less than 100 miles before I bought it ( albeit 3 years ago ) she had had a service which included fitting a new generator. At this stage I shan't name the garage that carried out this job but may well be persuaded to as time goes on.

I assumed initially that they had just left a cover bolt without torquing it up.....so I went round them all. Finding one that just kept turning I assumed they had stripped a thread so went and got the helicoils out ready to repair. However.....that was an impossibility....as what had actually happened was that they had obviously tried to put too long a bolt in and pushed the bulge over the bolt thread OFF the lower crankcase.....OUCH......! So I removed the generator and cover, dried out any residual oil, soaked up any in the inner case....removed the great lump of plastic padding that the miscreant bodge artiste had dolloped there along with the nut and bolt ( see attached pics ).......Then had to silicon a new gasket in place, replace the gennie and cover and let the silicon set. Obviously it now has a bolt missing...but is otherwise torqued on correctly. The silicon has now dried and I am about to take her for a spin to see if it has dealt with the oily boot problem. No names, no pack drill, but if the mob that replaced the generator did this they want shooting. If anyone wants their details I am happy to pm.......

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-21 at 15.14.49 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-21 at 15.14.49 (2).jpeg

Just got back from a varied speed 50 mile ride.....and so far, all is well...oil leak no longer evident......

Thank goodness for that Dave, what a load of cowboys. Now just enjoy the bike.

Thats the plan....tho I have just acquired a set of Akrapovic headers.....so it'll save weight and let me fit the Akrapovic Ti can I had in the workshop.......apparently the headers liberate about 18 horses...tho I suspect they may be more like shetland ponies than the Household Cavalry chargers ....as well as saving about 12kg over the old 2:2 system.....watch this space......

The Headers will liberate more than Shetland ponies Dave.

I find it unbelievable that a garage can do such a bodge when they are supposed to be the people that know what they are doing ! Lets hope they don't do work on peoples brakes or chassis>

Edited by x11r