Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael

Exhaust cleaning

6 posts in this topic

Another thread on here suggested good results were achieved but light on details and pictures no longer visible.

https://ibb.co/k0dV7YZ

My down pipes were pretty awful all over, whilst better it's taken a long time to get to this point and no progress from here.  I've actually got a mirror shine on the good bits, pretty sure it was 'brushed' originally.  I've been through multiple iterations of de-greaser, tar remover, cola & aluminum foil (phosphoric acid & aluminum oxide), citric acid, red scotch-brite, autosol, rotary tool @ 5k rpm wool wheel with autosol.

https://ibb.co/CsZgF6V

I guess it's rust that's worked into the surface layer, but it's not weakened or powdery.  Is this as good as it gets, am I polishing a turd...

That first pic is scary! I once owned a BMW R1200gs. It looked like there was something wrong with the bike, the engines were all horribly pitted along the front. I bought mine second hand and cleaned it up so it looked alright. Casually grumbling I was told that they only do it in England. Travelling around, it actually seems to be true. I don't know what the problem is but the UK certainly takes its toll on your engine finish.

I think thats as good as you get them and I would be happy if you do mine next as I can't not get close to that finish.

I have not try these but will give them a try and record back

just been looking at brushes and found Homebase is doing JOSCO range for silly money eg £1 instead of £8 in the nylon brushes for drills