jack

FI light on. No blinking

9 posts in this topic

On a long(ish) run the FI light came on the dash and stayed on. It's done it once before but turning it off and on again (microsoft reset) did the trick. Today, after I got out onto a main road it came on and stayed on. It went out when I re-fuelled but came on again once I made up some speed.

When I was running off-road (long story) it went out and stayed out.

I've recently cobbled a BMW regulator into the mix and I'm suspecting it's the cause. I never got her up to any speed before so that's probably why I've never had it happen.
Any pointers?

Performance and normal operations are fine. It doesn't appear to have any bearing on the bike, and she ran perfectly fine.

Trouble is Jack, the F! will only blink an error code with the side-stand down.

Yeah, I downloaded the service manual and tried it. Nothing. The FI light doesn't seem to be coming on under load, it comes on after a time but it goes out if I go back down to idling, or run on very low power. No matter what, or how long the light has been on, when I put the stand down and leave her, there's no error code, nothing.
It only come on while I'm riding at mid-range revs and upwards and there's no reference to that in the X or the BB manuals that I can find.
My guess is I'm confusing her with the transplanted reg. In any case she's running perfectly. She managed a 75km run on around 4 litres. I put 10 more in and zeroed the clock and she's back in the city with over 100km showing. Happy with the economy, haven't seen so much as a flutter in the power output.

LOVING this bike!

Mine did the same thing, after a while (about 2000km) It stayed on and gave the error code for the O2 sensor.

I just disconnected it and and put in an Oxygen Lambda Sensor Eliminator as the sensor isn't that cheap...

It can also just be a crappy wire somewhere, but without the code it's hard to say where or what the problem is.

But like Mick says; pull over, put it on the side stand and count the long and short nr of flashes.

Or the really cheap option: take the bulb out of the FI light;)

Edited by Space

She doesn't return any error codes when she's on the side stand. I recently swapped out the Reg/Rec for a BMW unit as a temporary fix. It's holding up but clearly isn't quite within spec and I think she's just getting confused.
I actually work, at school, right opposite a retired motorcycle mechanic. It turns out he's experienced with Blackbirds. I asked him and he said, "is the light so bright that it makes the bike hard to ride at night?" I said it wasn't. He said, "Well, just ignore it then."

Problem solved.

I finally got a blink... 25, faulty wiring. It's just the regulator. I'll get a proper one as soon as I can sort it out but it runs fine for now.

Imngetting 25 manual says knock sensor. How urgently does this need sorting? Checked wires and all seems fine. Bbird suggests ECM replacement..gulp.

Poxy electronics , what's wrong with Points & Carbs !

as been mention before check the ECM wiring and connects clean and lub with electrical grease . I always ensure the wires come out of ECM straight and not bend sharply . I had a problem last year when at TT  light came on and stopped until I stopped only to find the headlight bulb had failed replaces it and no more F1 light can't find that in manual LOL