MOB993

Street Fighter Rebuild

6 posts in this topic

So after neglecting the X11 for too long (cosmetically not mechanically) I've decided its time go through the bike and rebuild it and properly street fighter it like I had always planned.

This project started back in 2012 when i had a CBRXX when i lived in Oz for a while and i began buying the parts needed to streetfighter the bird. Ended up selling the bike unmolested and shipped the parts home. I had gathered a custom cbrxx front mud guard & belly pan, a nice streetfighter mask, KTM RC8 sub frame and nice set of lights to go into the tail fairing(yet to be purchased). I came home and on the hunt for a nice CBRXX I discovered the X11 and managed to pick up one off a member on here. I unfortunately came off the bike a couple of months later and it was fairly damaged cosmetically anyways but patched it up and got it back on the road. Been driving it since and just after buying another bike to hack on the daily commute instead of ruining the X11 so I can afford to have it off the road to rebuild it.

The bike has approx 40,000kms on it from memory so fairly fresh engine wise but has had to suffer the Irish weather and only now lives in a nice warm garage.

My plan is to:

1. Make fork shrouds for the existing forks to which I will attach the mask and lights https://goo.gl/images/2KqGsj  https://goo.gl/images/PCJ9B6

2. Mount the belly pan

3. Modify the exhaust to be single sided( probably out of my depth welding wise so will get a real welder to do that)

4. Mount the KTM sub frame and add battery holder etc to it.

5. Buy a KTM RC8 racing fairing, mount the tail lights and match up to existing bodywork.

6. Strip the bike apart into all the main components

7. Clean all the crud and dirt etc

8. Re Powder coat some of the lower parts of the engine.

9. All steel parts to be galvanized

10. Paint all in Raptor Bedliner ( brilliant stuff I love it)

11. Reassemble with new parts etc

12. Enjoy

I want to do this project fairly quickly and not let it drag out, having all the parts in advance.

When it comes to rebuilding what would people recommend I replace while apart, what would be a much needed upgrade that while apart would save a lot of hassle or time//money?

Items currently on the bike that are new/nearly new, front brake disks & pads, chain & sprocket, plugs, K&n air filter, battery and rectifier.

I also intend to video/picture as much as possible.

All advice is welcome!

Looking forward to your vids of this project, should end up with a unique bike.

hi there do you still have the clock closter i am in need of a speedo dial as mine has faded badly how bad are yours 

sounds good,I always thought of putting spots or bull eye lights in belly pan and may be a clear clutch cover?

On 27/11/2018 at 15:05, au51 said:

hi there do you still have the clock closter i am in need of a speedo dial as mine has faded badly how bad are yours 

I'll have a look at my speedo dials at the weekend. If i remember correctly they survived.

5 hours ago, blueboy said:

sounds good,I always thought of putting spots or bull eye lights in belly pan and may be a clear clutch cover?

Yea I want to add spots and can't make my mind up wether to have them in the bellypan or between the crash bars and rad shroud.

Matt if you are dropping the motor thats a good time to check the shims , good luck with the build , One of the german lads has an RC8 sub frame on his ,it's certainly different.