Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jack

Battery flat

10 posts in this topic

My lovely new (to me) X died tonight. She wouldn't restart after being parked up this evening. I got the vibe that the battery was low but thought it was nothing. The horn didn't feel as loud, she hesitated for a moment before starting. I just assumed I was reading too much into it. Clearly not.

Battery is flat, pressing the starter does nothing, just tries to turn over and then the idiot-lights go dark and she gives up. What could cause this? Is it the dreaded regulator fault? She was sat unused for a long time and then fitted with a new battery when i bought her. 

I'd check all the earth connections first.

I got the battery charged and it wasn't damaged at all. I'll run her home tonight and check everything tomorrow. The battery connections seemed very good to me, certainly not the obvious thing, a dodgy lead up there.

She does have the Ermax undertray and I hear air-flow is reduced with that. PP is a very hot city and we make short runs through traffic mostly. She's never got really hot though, never has the needle gone up more than halfway. I doubt it's the battery, i got a new one when i got the bike and it was running fine until yesterday.
Someone has spent a bit of money on the thing so I was surprised not to find any performance upgrades. I'm going to comb the wiring loom and look for signs of a power-commander being removed or dodgy earths to the frame. I'll try to test the voltage output too, which should help me narrow down the problem.

Cheers.

regulator/alternator probably.  My money is on the first, but I'm not a mechanic

I'm hoping not but suspect that's what it is. I got the battery charged and she's back to her old self. No sign of the battery weakening after running around all morning so fingers crossed.
I'm dropping down to the mechanic shop where i bought the bike. I don't have a multi-meter so he's going to help me check the charging circuit and we'll narrow down the problem. I'm hoping it's no more serious than we accidentally fitted the wrong battery.

Update - It's the regulator. The guy had a unit from a CBR1000 but it wasn't a match. He said there is a chance it's just corrosion in a wire since the regulator is in very good condition. I'll clean the wires and cross my fingers.

I cleaned the contacts and checked the wires. It didn't do any good, the regulator isn't working. As I'm in a country with no higher-order brain functions I'm in for a long wait to get a replacement unit. We're sadly off the road till then. Not completely, it doesn't seem to be delivering nothing at all and the battery is staying usable during the day. It just drains at night so I am giving her occasional runs out.

There is one minor hope! The rear of the regulator is rubber sealed. I'm fairly sure I can get inside and might be able to replace the inner components. I have literally nothing to lose by trying.

If I do need a replacement I'm going to source (somehow) a Mosfet unit and switch over to that. Reportedly it will last longer, stay cool and will even add a little performance to the bike.

I did find the source of her funny smells though. The main fuel line is weeping up under the pump. It's wet from a minor leak so I'll address that with a new seal. My mate recently crashed his ZX9r so I've been playing with that. It's a day and night difference between these two machines in terms of engineering. The X is a seriously well-made machine.

Can't wait to get her back fully-functional.

At least you're making progress Jack. There's nothing worse than a mystery fault. Now you know what's at fault you can repair them.

For a mosfet regulator email the guys (and lady) at http://www.jaws-motorcycles.co.uk they can probably help you out Jack. If it's a problem getting it posted to you I'm happy to have it delivered to me and forward it on to you.

1 hour ago, Mick M said:

For a mosfet regulator email the guys (and lady) at http://www.jaws-motorcycles.co.uk they can probably help you out Jack. If it's a problem getting it posted to you I'm happy to have it delivered to me and forward it on to you.

That would be awesome! I've met an Australian mechanic who thinks he can get it here but if it doesn't work, I'll shoot you a mail. Thanks for the very generous offer.
My other bike, BMW GX burned out in Thailand due to faulty wiring. A guy on a forum stripped his own down and photographed it to help me get the new loom up into place. You meet the nicest people on two wheels!