jack

X11 is smelly. Is that normal?

17 posts in this topic

I've not had her long but my X11 is a bit smelly. She's a late model and has been sitting with little use for at least a year. When she first fired, she ran fine and I rolled to a petrol station and gassed her up. Ever since she had a strong whiff of petrol after running. Due to the nature of the city, she's getting relatively short runs with lots of traffic stops. She seems powerful and is very smooth and I'm not really worried. I just wondered if this is normal for these bikes to have a little whiff of fuel after running.

There's no leaks, no runs or dribbles and certainly nothing pooling underneath her.

Thanks.

Jack

Hi Jack, how do you stop the engine? some people blip the throttle as they stop the engine. with you being stationary this can lead to a petrol smell. I always just turn it off without the blip and have not noticed any fuel smell.

That's interesting, I always do blip the engine out of habit. I'll try giving that a miss. Thanks for the advice!

Fuel may be a bit stale too, with being stood.

There's clearly a problem! I ran my first $10 through her and she delivered 14mpg overall. Not good. On the one hand, she has been stood a long time so the bad fuel might have caused issues, also the reserve might have been almost completely bottomed out so it's very difficult to judge. I used the scooter for work (I have a busted down Honda 50cc Ruckus well so I literally own one of the pinkest bikes in the entire country and the slowest too) and she had a faint smell of petrol when i came home.

My guess is that the hoses have started to perish a little and the petrol is evaporating. It's incredibly hot here and the fuel suffers for it. She's got a few marks so after Christmas when my finances are under control she's getting a face-lift so I'll address the issues then. For now, she's used so infrequently that it's not a big deal. She's still about the same price to run as an automatic scooter in heavy traffic.

Also, I've been heavy on the throttle. I'm dead impressed with the handling, she sticks to the road like glue and corners like a bike half her size. My wife commented on how quickly she got round tight curves.

Mine is a bit smelly too to be honest, especially from the exhaust during running. I wondered if it was running a bit rich or something. After use, there's a strong aroma of petrol but no apparent drips or splashes. Please keep us updated how you're getting on! ;)

my x11 used to smell badly (petrol) also ran a bit iffy below 2500rpm , changed the fuel pressure regulator , runs lovely and no smell of petrol

Mine frequently smells of petrol (yes, I do the blip the throttle before switching her off), I've checked hoses and everything I can see and there are no visible leaks so I ignore it! Now the stink of diesel from my lads Land Rover Defender which is parked at mine covers it up!

mick , I know what you mean , smell of petrol but no visible signs of leakage . anyway , update on fuel regulator , before my fuel light was coming on after 100 - 105 miles with the new pressure regulator its 147 -151 miles so it should pay for itself soon lol

Good news, another problem solved.

On 20/10/2018 at 16:49, fred said:

mick , I know what you mean , smell of petrol but no visible signs of leakage . anyway , update on fuel regulator , before my fuel light was coming on after 100 - 105 miles with the new pressure regulator its 147 -151 miles so it should pay for itself soon lol

Wow that's probably what I need to do for my X then. The fuel light comes on after just over 100 miles-ish and the smell of petrol is quite strong. May I ask which fuel pressure regulator you went for please? Many thanks!

I had a starting problem.

After setting the power on I could hear the fuel pump starting. Then it did not start when pressing ignition and after that the fuel pump started again.

I recharged the battery and then I tried to start again. Now I heard big metallic clunk sound! (I wonder what was that)? I feared that cylinders hit on valves or something. And there was also quite of a smell of fuel. It started however on second try but not running smoothly.

I ordered new FPR (one for Blackbird), changed that and it seems to run fine. Then I checked oil and there was definitely smell of fuel in oil.

No I have changed oil and filter and lets see if the fuel stays away of mixing into oil.

Lets hope that I can enjoy the bike without trouble rest of the summer!

Fingers crossed

On 6/24/2019 at 13:07, Jasmack said:

I had a starting problem.

After setting the power on I could hear the fuel pump starting. Then it did not start when pressing ignition and after that the fuel pump started again.

I recharged the battery and then I tried to start again. Now I heard big metallic clunk sound! (I wonder what was that)? I feared that cylinders hit on valves or something. And there was also quite of a smell of fuel. It started however on second try but not running smoothly.

I ordered new FPR (one for Blackbird), changed that and it seems to run fine. Then I checked oil and there was definitely smell of fuel in oil.

No I have changed oil and filter and lets see if the fuel stays away of mixing into oil.

Lets hope that I can enjoy the bike without trouble rest of the summer!

To update the status:

- No fuel in oil

- runs fine

- On cold start she has always output white smoke for a little while before engine warms up and sometimes a bit smelly, that has not changed

10 hours ago, Jasmack said:

To update the status:

- No fuel in oil

- runs fine

- On cold start she has always output white smoke for a little while before engine warms up and sometimes a bit smelly, that has not changed

Mine's just the same, must be normal.

On 10/11/2018 at 19:44, fred said:

mjc I ordered fuel pressure regulator from nutjob.ie think it was 85 euro's delivered https://nutjob.ie/genuine-honda-cb1100-2001-pressure-regulator-assembly-part-17-16740mate02-553115/

I'm going to order one soon but I just wanted to ask was it hard to fit and would it be very similar to changing a Blackbird FPR? I'm not much of a mechanic to be honest so I get a little daunted by these kind of jobs.