Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jack

Non-Road bike. BMW G650x Country

7 posts in this topic

This is my main, favourite, special motorcycle. I bought 'Bella' in London about ten years ago. She was a little rough round the edges but generally in good condition and she was a bargain. I wanted her for cheap London commuting and the odd green-lane ride at weekends after a much bigger, more expensive BMW got stolen. She turned out to be better all-round than anything I'd had before so I stuck with her.

She's a German bike so she's as ugly as a Bulgarian super-model but she does everything brilliantly and has never let me down. I decided to take her travelling. We've seen 23 countries together, so far, through Europe, the Middle East and Asia. We've climbed mountains, been through snow, sand-storms, tropical jungles and over all kind of terrain. She never stops. She's been off the road for a rebuild after my friend set fire to her. Even then, she carried on through Thailand, Laos and Cambodia.

She's going to be back on the road in the next 6 months, living in semi-retirement as a scrambler, her long range days are over now, I think. I still love her though.

10646689_10204763881036409_7257949001352

You'll find the same affinity with your X11, it's a "marmite" bike but once ridden forever loved.

Actually they've got a lot in common. The Beemer was built for Dakar qualification so it really was built extremely well. There were few corners cut so it was expensive and sold extremely poorly. People didn't understand it, a 650cc single at more than the cost of a 1250cc Bandit. It didn't make sense, so second hand prices were really low. 

Same with the X11. It was built just as well as Honda could build it and it shows. Mine, and I'm just getting used to it now, is silky smooth and oozes quality. I guess people just didn't get it, but whatever reason it didn't win the marketing battle, their loss is my gain and I've got a very sexy road-bike that makes me smile when I see it.

Jack is happy!

wing-house.jpg

Yeah... those ugly Bulgarian models

10 hours ago, Space said:

wing-house.jpg

Yeah... those ugly Bulgarian models

Yeah, but how do you think they look to the husbands of those chickens?

The husbands of those chickens?

no cock would have a problem with them I think...

I see what you did there!