Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jack

New owner, anything to be wary of?

5 posts in this topic

I'm picking up my new X11 in the morning, after work. I got it extremely cheap and haven't had a chance to go over it all properly. I bought it from a very good mate who owns a bike shop and is well-known for the kind of honest you just don't see anymore. He told me she's solid and I have no reason to doubt it.

What should I look for when i get her home? I plan to go over the bike this weekend and do a top to bottom check of all the usual trouble-spots. What are the known issues to watch out for? Are there any recommended tips and hints for new owners. I've looked over the advice on the forum and it seems like there's a few minor electrical niggles, as you'd expect on machines of this age.
I can't really seem to find much else. Are they really that reliable that there aren't the usual handful of known faults? Am I missing anything?

Many thanks

Jack

Hi Jack, hope you enjoy your new bike! The steering head bearings can wear. Get the front wheel raised and check for smoothness when turning the forks. If there's a notch feeling in the straight ahead position it indicates the bearings need greasing or replacing. Also check the rear sub frame under the seat. It's well documented on the forum as a common fault. 

Hi Jack, just be aware of the small steering lock when doing slow turns.

Just enjoy it.Jump on and give it the berries :)

I was prepared for the short steering lock. I'm more used to dirt bikes lately so I knew I was facing a culture shock there. Also, the weight is going to take a while to get used to, I guess? I rode one once before, it might have been the same one, actually. I'm in Phnom Penh, Cambodia and larger bikes are pretty rare here.

I was struck by how low and squat it felt, it doesn't look like that in the pictures but when you sit on it, it feels like it's actually going to quite easy to ride.

What's the issue with the sub-frames? Is it welds cracking? I'm actually not going to spend money on her till the New Year but then it's a pair of shorter carbon cans and a new, lightweight tail. I'm probably going to go with a pair of larger headlights up front too. I keep thinking of 'Hoover' from the old 'Bloodrunners' comic strip that ran in Bike magazine.