BMXR

K&N + Standard Blackbird Cans

11 posts in this topic

Just fitted a new k&n air filter to replace the original Honda one....16 years old and 10k miles.

Also Swapped the X11 cans for some non cat Blackbird ones and the bike is so smooth, the jerkiness around town is history and it's made the bike more responsive and cleaner revving. 

I had some micron race cans before and they were either on or off with the power delivery, but I'd definitely recommend the swap. Sounds deeper too, less electric motor sounding and slightly more boom....not as noisy as the microns, but a deeper smoother sound.

Cheers bmxr was just talking about this on my x11 I've checked absolutely everything she is totally standard even down to the cans .I to have a pair of race microns that I don't want so if any one has a pair of non cat cbr pipes😉

I got a set for £40 on eBay and there's loads available,  just need to make sure it's the earlier carbed versions with the thinner link pipe section that you get. They fit straight on and definitely worth it 

Thanks for that the slight surging below 3000 is doing my nut in .

I know what you mean - It was like riding a bull from cold...I almost fell off the back on my way to work one day as i flipped down my visor with one hand before I changed the cans

Edited by BMXR

I'm on the lookout now for some if not I will have to get baffles made up for the race microns 

I've got a pair of standard X11 exhausts (the ones with the cat in) if they are any good to you. 

My X came with a pair of very short and very loud Delkevic cans, at some point (when I can be bothered in other words) I'm going to change them for my Fuel baffled race cans. When I had the Fuel cans on my old X they had a nice rumble and it ran much better than my current one with the shorties.

Cheers Mick I've got standard ones on now with the cat in .also I've got a pair of microns straight through to loud for me I'm afraid .My son has got a cb1000r he's about to buy a sp engineering end can so I will have a listen to his .Might even get some for myself. They start at 349 a pair which I thought was reasonable. Cheers for the offer though.

I have had 3 X11s over the past few years all with the cat type end cans..never noticed

a problem other than running red hot compared to my early carbie Blackbird that runs the non cat pipes.

Hondas early attempts at fuel injection wasnt always what it should have been. i noticed a heavyness to the throttle

and sometimes an abruptness to on off throttle inputs as well.I believe a power commander helps to smooth things out..

Cheers Andy if I can get the money together might invest one day .funny thing is my son says his cb1000r does the same .

That's another plus for switching to the blackbird carbon cans....no engine fan coming on when commuting to work......and no more melted wet weather gear stuck to the cats!