Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LoL62

Steering head bearings and fork oil change

3 posts in this topic

I took the plunge and decided to repair the notchy steering head bearings. Whilst I was at it I have also changed the fork oil.

It's the first time I have tackled what for me seemed quite a daunting task. However I looked thru the forum and took the advice of those of you who have tackled the fork oil change. Read the manual ( again taken from the  forum). Replacing the head bearings requires removing front wheel, forks, head light, clocks, and handle bars. I supported the bike on a hydraulic jack placed under the engine block. Removing the old bearings was not too difficult. I managed to remove both bearing races with a long metal rod and the lower bearing was gently prised off with a cold chisel. Sounds brutal but no damage done to the steering stem. I used the old races to tap in the new bearings after packing them with grease and also used the old races to tap the new bearing races  into the head stock. 

Fork oil change.  I took the tip from the forum to loosen the fork caps before removing the forks. Then I removed the fork cap, loosened and removed the damper rod, and then the collar and spring. Invert the fork and drained out about 400 ml of dirty old fork oil. Probably been there about 15 years from the colour!! Used the same amount of new oil as I had removed and checked the air gap which should be 164 mm according to manual. After that it's just a question of putting it all back together. Hardest bit for me was all the cables that reconnect within the headlamp. Useful tool is a torque wrench to check everything is as tight as it should be. I also bought the Honda steering stem adjusting socket off eBay for £20.00. It means you can use the torque setting from the manual to set the steering stem bearings correctly. 

Sounds long winded but all I can say is if you prepare well, read the tips from this forum it's not too difficult. I spent about 10 hours in total. Taking my time to check everything tightened up as it should be. I've now got nice smooth steering when the bars are turned. Not tested the effects of new fork oil yet!

Great work Lawrence, seems like a formidable task but as you say one step at a time and anything is possible. Well done, will probably shame some of us into having a go ourselves.

Someone doing a job for the first time always makes me think that, if they can do it, I can do it.

Thanks for posting :thumbsup: