Kev_D

Swing arm bearing kit

18 posts in this topic

Morning everyone,

I'm in the middle of getting a spare set of wheels powder coated and thought whilst I was at it I'd go the black swing arm route too, I was looking at a spare to strip and coat and then rebuild with new bits.

The trouble is I'm not finding it easy to find the bearings and bushes I need for the arm.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a supplier?

Kev

Try "Jaws"

Thanks Mick, are the bearings etc the same for a bird and x11?

Not sure mate, lots of parts are the same but phone Jaws, they will know.

if you go onto Fowlerspart they have all the info.But it looking like you may have to go to a bearing shop.but I would try Jaws and wemoto first

Try Lings honda parts a full listing and prices are available , I have powder coated my swing arm and had to strip it before hand , the only thing that needed replacing was the hardened bush on the chain side , Item no 11 , it was only worn on one side so i just rotated it 180 degrees ,I made up special segment bearing drifts to push the roller bearings out without destroying them , You will have to remove them all to have it powder coated as any trace of grease will contaminate the powder coat so bearings may be needed too !.

https://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_block_selection_M30?mod_01=1316

Just searched on the page the bearings are unavailable ill do some research on this as I work for a company that has a bearing purchaser !

Edited by x11r

Thank you very much guys, 

I can't find anything on wemoto. 

Will try calling jaws when I get a spare bit of time at work later today & have a look at fowler's parts.

That lings honda site is a great resource, thanks X11r!

Hi Kev Sorry for it taking a while the needle roller bearings on the chain side are HMK 2820 and the ball bearings on the other side are 6904 all bearings and seals are available on the goto site for parts.

DSC_1699.JPG

DSC_1705.JPG

DSC_1711.JPG

DSC_1729.JPG

Thank you very much, that's awesome work!

Re swing arm needle bearings

The HMK 2820 seems to be getting hard to find and is expensive, £21.22 ex vat...https://www.thebearingcompany.co.uk/products/hmk-2820-ntn-drawn-cup-needle-roller-bearing-28mmx37mmx20mm/ 

However...

IKO TA2820Z Needle Roller Bearing Open End Type ...

simplybearings.co.uk › shop › product_info

Spotted a mistake on this product? Equivalent to: HMK2820. 0.045000kg. New £12.08 ex VAT.

And even better...

TA2820Z Motorcycle Needle Roller Bearing - Premium Brand IKO - 28x37x20mm £7.03 VAT included

https://www.hendersonbearings.co.uk/ta2820z-motorcycle-needle-roller-bearing-premium-brand-iko-28x37x20mm.html

Well, just got around to fitting the new swing arm bearings over the first weekend when the sun actually starts to shine! B#ll#cks!

To be honest probably not needed but worth doing. Once I got the shock detached, the swingarm was still smooth up and down with no play as far as I could tell. The two radial bearings were still smooth with no nasty noises or play. The needle bearings were a little bit crunchy bot too bad. Pivot pin had bit of corrosion which need rubbing down. For a 21 year old, 50,000 mile pretty much ok but with the swingarm off and new bearings in the draw decided to go for it. 

Blind bearing puller was totally useless at shifting them. Used threaded rod, spanners plates and sockets for removal and installation. Fiddly but seems to have worked fine. Learn as you go along...e.g don't try and push the radial bearings out the wrong way against the lip in the swingarm.

So, all done. Ready to put the new shock in. Look up and the chain slider is right where I left it, looking pristine after a lot of work with the degreaser and toothbrush. F###!!!!

As you say, you learn as you go along.

if doing a job for first time always worth filming it on phone for reference or u tube it 

If my garage was a calm and orderly place when I work, I might, but it slowly descends into chaos. Every project is liberally peppered with profanity too, so probably couldn't get vids on YouTube without some serious editing!

mute it then voice over , or just said Bugger it