wanefv

when to change brake hoses

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

For several years I'm a passive reader of the info on this forum. But now I've a question I don't seem to get answered by the existing topics: when is it time to change the brake hoses? The manual states "look for signs of deterioration, cracks, .... replace hoses as required". Not really that measurable...

Is there a need to change them preventively, or do you really wait until there are visible signs of deterioration? Is there a weak spot to look for? I only replace parts when necessary (broken, weared out) but don't want to wait too long either. A brake is after all a safety instrument.

As my X is almost 18yrs old, he deserves to be looked after. B)

Thanks!

Why not change them now (now that you started to think about them) / when you have time / when you have money / when you have the inspiration for it. 

Better sooner than later and you dont have to think them anymore, maybe you will never change them again.

(i havent done it yet) but i know my steering bearing wont give me any issues because i changed it last winter:)

Edited by Maintenanceman

Hi guys, thanks for the opinions. Changed my steering ball bearings 2yrs ago, when I noticed it started to have a spot "straight through". :rolleyes:

Say, why does everyone advise aftermarktet supplyers for brake hoses? Why shouldn't I just buy the Honda parts? After all they lasted already 18yrs and 95000km? Price/quality/...??

good point , think the braided hoses give better feel (don't swell with age) and they do look smarter if not original.but I sure you put more modern tyres on the bike then what they came with as new.But you pay your money and made your choice.

£800 for just flexi hoses from Honda ,copper washers are £4.79 each , I think an aftermarket set would be better as that should include stainless fittings and new copper washers!

Off topic, but greetings fellow Belgian!