peter

Battery problem

8 posts in this topic

Bit of help required, battery  has swollen and deformed.presume this is due  to overcharging but have no experience on bike electrics as have spent my life working on HGV . Would this be due to faulty regulater  ,alternator ,or rectifier. Have not had time to test the voltage going in as the battery has ceased to work ...Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Hi Peter, the rectifier can fail especially if allowed to over-heat. Some of the guys have fitted computer fans to keep it cool.

It's under the seat above the back brake in the side pod with the bit of mesh on it.

Edited by Mick

Thanks Mick, is the rectifier the same as a blackbird, where is the best place to buy from or is there a type you would recommend 

They do fail but so do batteries!

If a cell goes then a normal system will overcharge it. The only way to know is to put a new one on and check the alternator output voltage with a multimeter. 

On 4.8.2017 at 21:15, peter said:

Thanks Mick, is the rectifier the same as a blackbird, where is the best place to buy from or is there a type you would recommend 

Not the same as BB`s, difference between wire length. I have fitted BB`s regulator so that i just cut the wires and connected them to the original wires wit good quality connectors.

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/Maintenanceman/media/cGF0aDpYLTExLzIxMDYyMDExMTg1LmpwZw==/?ref=1 you can see it there, photobucket is acting nowdays...

Thanks for the replies lads, all sorted now. Bought blackbird type and modified loom to suit ( from jaws motorcycles,very helpful people)

Jaws is always my first port of call if only for advice as you said very nice people.By the way is your a blue X11

No , bright red. Thought I saw another the other night but went different ways so could not be sure