Mick

BellyPan repair

11 posts in this topic

Noticed today that the belly-pan was touching the down-pipes, and had melted a good half inch into the plastic. On closer examination found two 4" long cracks, one either side of the lower fixings,

Anyone know the best way to mend this type of plastic? Was thinking of trying a normal car body repair kit.

Car Body Filler wont repair cracks Mick well it will fill them but when it flexes again it will crack, probably need a plastic welding kit or another piece of plastic on the inside bonded with some araldite !

Cheers John, will look on that bay site for glues.

Hi Mick I had good results with epoxy putty its comes in a small roll and you cut off what you need then squeeze together then you could cover the back off the crack .I have rebuilt a broken lug of seat unit with it and also repaired a cracked fairing on another bike with it and got good results both times BRY

If you want to go with "welding" (might be the best way to fix "bucket plastic") try with soldering iron and use black zip tie to melt.

Thats how car bumpers are fixed by diy guys.

Fillers etc will not stick and peel off quite easily.

Edited by Maintenanceman

Spoil for choice now, thanks guys. Will let you know how it goes.

I've used Henri's method with great success....

1 person likes this

Worked for me too Ken. Many thanks Henri for that brilliant tip. Had to butcher one of my flat blade screwdrivers to make an angled flat chistle point bit for the soldering iron. I only had a straight pointed one.

Thanks again Henri.

1 person likes this

Glad you sorted it Mick , Great tip Henri , the cheepest methods are always the best 

Cheers John, wonder how many other tips Henri's got up his sleeve. Probably could write a book.

1 person likes this

^Haha :icon_biggrin: