Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
speedfreak

Throttle Cable Route

9 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

My project is now finished and I am so happy with the result, bike is now lowered and my feet are flat on the ground, LSL installed and bike feels steadier and so much easier to move about when I am not riding it. I will post some pics soon.

However, I need help with throttle route, took m eages and I found the best root not too far off the original and it wasall okay until today I realised that when I trun the steering fully to the right the throttle becomes stuck and therefore so dangerous and risky that I havent taken her out for a ride yet till I sort this out!

Any ideas? suggestions? I thought maybe to remove them and route beyond the forks which is not neat but at least fully free to move and no snags!

Youe help is so appreciated so I can get back on teh road! Here is a pic of how it is now:

IMG_3087C.JPG

Is the throttle cable the only thing that's giving difficulties?

No problems with the brake lines or clutch?

I have a top yoke on order so I'm about to have the same problems...

Hi Nick,

I am using LSL kit but I am guessing they are all the same. I had to remove the clutch cable form the guide under the fork and now is a long enough, LSL recommends removing the brake lines from the holder under the fork but no need, it is long enough and you can see how I have routed that, electrics could be longer which would look nicer and tidier but that means splicing which is too much work. Other than that everything else is okay. I am so glad I did the conversion.

Throttle cable left to its original position is not long enough and it restricts steering so I moved it behind the bracket for the clock which looks nice and tidy but noticed today that it is not the best position when fully turned to the right and it gets stuck so I was wondering what others did, my next option to try is to completely remove it from the forks and route it from behind but that may not look so good! And YES it is all about the looks for me, I am shallw! :-)

I think I'll be able to live with that...

Or maybe buy a longer throttle cable if needed.

I'm guessing/hoping that's going to be a simple switch.

It's going to be done in January so I might splice the wires as well as I'm not riding again until feb or march anyway.

And that's not shallow... that's common sense!

Hi Nick,

Once I sort my cable route problem I will add some pics so you can see how mine looks, it is nice and tidy so you may not need splicing,

I am going to investigate the cost of longer cables as that would probably be less hassle.

Keep me posted... my top yoke came in the mail yesterday so as soon as I find the time (next year probably) I can get started :)

I haven't looked yet but normally a longer cable should be easy

unless they put in some sort of weird expensive cable (I hope not!)

Hi Nick,

Finally completed, do not waste your time trying to find a route for the throttle cable as I spent a lot of time and tried every route with no success! On full right turn in any position bends the cable too far for it to move freely. The only option and also the best option is to remove it from the forks and run it behind. It moves freely and it looks better, wish I had tried that first rather than last. Doh....:blink:

The only alternative if you want to run it through the forks and on the same route as the current route is to order an extra inch longer cables but I found out it was too much hassle and quite expensive so I re-routed mine which looks fine. 

Good luck with yours and let me know if there is anything I could help with!

IMG_3181B.JPG

Easy is often the best way...

And it does look better.

Thanks for the updates; they will save me some time :)

As soon as I get started I'll post some pics

Took the same route (I think)

My handle bars are a bit less wide I think, no snags anywhere

I can see now where the cables have been rubbing all these years

needs to be patched up when I get the chance20170312_164200crop.thumb.jpg.1b4d26956b900039a7117c9c18b7c7de.jpg