HornetJay

CBR929 Help.

7 posts in this topic

Right chaps I know this isn't about my Honda X-11, Its about my 2001 CBR929RR  I've posted about this in CBR900 Forums, but to be fair people are all over the place, and I am none the wiser.

Had a Problem a little while ago, where the bike would cut out, but would start again on the button.

Anyway, I replaced the Stator and Regulator as the charging system was killing the battery, and the the battery for a good quality one, so I decide its time to ride to the club house on it.

Bike cuts out when I pull up at the club house, go to start it again, turns over but wont start, fuel pump wont prime.  Park bike up at club house and then get it towed home.

After a week I decided to pull up the tank and make sure something isn't loose, tap on the bottom of the tank, spray and clean with electrical cleaner all connections I can find, turn the key on and bike fuel pump comes on and we're back in business.

So I took the bike out on a short run, to make sure that I am not going to get stranded somewhere, come home and on the drive the bike cuts out again ( lucky sod ).

This is what is happening when I turn the bike on.

1. everything comes on the dash okay.
  2. Key light comes on and goes off
  3. Fi comes on goes off and red light comes on ( will obviously go off when bike is started ).
  4. But no priming sound.

I am placing my money on it being the fuel pump, so obviously the thing to do would be to replace the fuel pump, the problem is I am being brainstormed with 100 and 1 things to check and replace, but to be fair my knowledge and practical skills with electrics are dire to say the least.

The next problem unless I get a tow I can't get the bike to the local garage, but this is going to be my last resort.

Any idea's or experience, I am just hoping its not the damned ECM.

Well I have bought a cheap Chinese relay and a second hand fuel pump, I have no intention of these parts being long term, just enough to test if its one or the other causing the problem.

Wish me luck.

Side stand switch?

Could be the side stand switch as Eddy said, my mate had a 929 which had similar problems, a dog only had to do a slash up a lamppost 1/2 mile from my mates bike to cause it to stop.

The TOS and side stand switch and of course checking the kill switch properly are on my agenda.

Cheers.

Finally found out what the problem was.

Right posted on the CBR929 forum about the problem, and someone posts a couple of links for people who have had the same problem, funny thing is I recognize the name, yup its the previous owner, so I contact him to find out what the hell he done to make it fire up the pump.

The previous owner is a real gentlemen, comes around and helps me test the wiring loom ( hes an electrician by trade ), we find the fault it a wire and bypass the system and the pump fires up fine.

Replacement loom on the way :)

Glad you got it sorted Jay , Nothing worse than untraceable electrical problems !