Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest MichaelR1974

Typical weakness

4 posts in this topic

Hello again.

Does the engine have typical weakness ? Is the engine similar to the engine of the 1100XX ?

Thank you.

Mikel

Slightly less horse-power but more torque, and one balance shaft less. Usual Honda "bullet-proof" engine build.

Edited by Mick

Nothing special, common (small) issues, voltage regulator and cam chain tensioner. These are what came to my mind but really they are nothing special.

Engine wise, its a typical Honda very well put together, but it can be very noisy, some people may not agree, the clutch can be very noisy, but as long as the noise goes away when you pull the clutch in, then nothing to worry about, also if you start it up cold without enough choke then it can sound like its knocking this again is the clutch.  Firestorms can are the same with the clutch, this has been like this on both my X 11's.

As someone mentioned the Cam chain tensioners can go, but unlike the firestorm 9/10 times you hear it long before it will get to the point of letting go. so its a good idea to look at either manuals or buying a spare, personally I don't like fitting manuals unless its a firestorm.

The danger with manuals it if you don't set them up right they can cause problems, especially and I have known this to happen the bolts come loose and the manual totally unwinds itself.  bye bye engine, as pistons meet valves and it will kill the head and pistons, this is why I don't fit them unless I really have to.

And regulators are prone to going as well.

On my storm I fitted an R6 regulator, but finned ones shouldn't be to bad, Honda used to fit smooth non finned units hidden away that cooked themselves but the X11 gets plenty of cool air hitting it and it has cooling fins, VFR used to suffer the worse with this problem.  Just don't be tempted to fit indicators into the holes on the tail piece, as this will stop cool air getting to the regulator.

Also if the chain is noisy it may be good to ask about the front sprocket and whats been fitted, some people don't realise that the Birds and X's have a rubber inner on the front sprocket to stop noise and vibes.

The only other thing is HISS whilst its great when its working, can be expensive when they mess up, if you HISS plays up don't be tempted to mess with it until you have sprayed electrical spray into the keys hole and the kill switch.

Sorry to rattle off stuff, but I hope it helps.

Good luck and your not go wrong with one of these bikes, absolute monster bikes, the only other Honda naked I would say to get would be a CB1000R, but then these will set you back a lot more, other than that the X is a bloody good buy.

Edited by HornetJay