Maintenanceman

My tail tidy project

20 posts in this topic

So,

Spring_zps0df757b2.jpg

It was time to start my tidy project, i have had that undertray for, i think, two years now.

Old Ermax undertray had to go, the rear "box" was only little bit smaller than original. Ermax was fitted when the bike was almost new and it could be fitted more carefully.

16062011137-1.jpg

The plastic part under the seat was already butchered so i didnt have to worry about that, usually i want to keep original parts untouched.

DSC_0384_zps1wtgl7jb.jpg

My new undertray is from germany, "Balu Racing" is the guy who is making them, you can find them from fleabay.

It needs fitting, sanding and drilling, no "plug and play" at all.

I cut the plastic "inner fender" aprox where the installation manual (crappy paper copy of the copy of the copy) says, needs little bit trimming thou.

DSC_0371_zpsofy8hla5.jpg

Fitting and fitting... I need to repaint that "bracket" what holds the seat lock, i painted it quickly when i made my rear frame fix.

DSC_0373_zpswlomrek9.jpg

DSC_0370_zpsx2vq8tuz.jpg

Story continues.

German "design" isnt long enough, maybe some piece of rubber will cover the rest.

DSC_0375_zpstzcchzpn.jpg

Holes for the plate holder drilled, i will relocate the seat lock here, time will tell if it gets too dirty but this was the most logic place for it.

I have to make some kind of bracket for the lock wire.

DSC_0376_zpsfsmduaxh.jpg

DSC_0378_zps1dpoxdfg.jpg

DSC_0378_zps1dpoxdfg.jpg

These are the lights that i am going to use, reg plate light and tail light, quite bright even they are small.

DSC_0379_zpspegfgbp2.jpg

First i was going to get that undertray painted with matching color but when i was asking the price of the paint job i decided to go with black and clearcoat with flakes. It is not so visible that it would bother me (i hope) but if it is then i have something to do at next winter.

DSC_0381_zpsygzzkk4u.jpg

I found these signal ights from that forbidden market place, ordered two pairs to get some modern look.

LED-Signal-Light-Vader-TSL-188-1_zpshdm2

I also bought new license plate, that old one was little bit beat up so that will be also shiny new one with that EU country mark on it, cost about 8€ and of course with same numbers like the old one.

Btw, dont mind that dirty and dusty bike, it will be cleaned after the job.

Story continues as soon as i have time for it.

Edited by Maintenanceman

Nice one Henri, will look great when finished.

1 person likes this

Looks good Henri.

1 person likes this

Had a little time to continue.

I wanted to make some kind of support for the back of the undertray.

First one was made of stainless steel but it didnt fit properly.

DSC_0398_zps5p8xmssy.jpg

DSC_0400_zpso9a6vbme.jpg

Next ones were little bit better, took a while to make support bracket for lock wire.

DSC_0400_zpso9a6vbme.jpg

DSC_0402_zpsztqk8pah.jpg

I used plastic fasteners that comes in from underside (from Polaris ATV) and attached that wire bracket under one bolt.

DSC_0404_zpsrnsqu39x.jpg

DSC_0405_zpsp8f1cimm.jpg

DSC_0406_zpspzghsb1d.jpg

Main reason for those plastic fasteners is that if it is necessary i can either take the top part of or the undertray of separately.

This is the plate holder that i am using, i used some flat head screws to make it cleaner looking.

DSC_0407_zpssgzpy1em.jpg

DSC_0408_zpsip4wznbk.jpg

DSC_0409_zpsigkqxrrd.jpg

Tail light and plate light installed, maybe i pressed that plate light too much (there is double side tape or what ever it is) because it looks that other side of the led bar is more in than the other side.

Might get new one..

DSC_0410_zpssqbwi9bh.jpg

Looking good Henri.

Nice one. Looks like the plate holder is exactly the same as the one in kit by "mr Mueller". Or is it from the same kit, you bought both of them, right? The top two holes fits nicely to our "EU" plates, though the bottom two holes are not touching anything. I just put white dummy screws in there, and secured the bottom part with double sided tape :)

I also discarded the idea of using the actual blinker holders that came with the plate holder - they were too low for my taste. Instead I cut and bent my own from flat aluminium bar, gave it black paint and attached it from the pivoting point of the plate holder. I could take few pics.

Here:

IMG_4321.JPG

IMG_4329.JPG

You can still see the remainings of the drilled-off rivets for the indicator holders that came with the plate holder :P I think they're just way better when they're at the same level with plate top.

You're right Riku, i had two of those undertrays, one from "BaluRacing" and one from  "mr Mueller", i sold that Mueller one and threw in that Balus plate holder, it was much heavier and didnt look so nice to my mind.

I was also thinking that indicator location, i might use those what came with the holder but i make that final decision when those "chinese" indicators arrive.

My plan with the plate is exactly same than yours, i was going to do it but i forgot my extra sticky tape home. Without the tape the plate will crack from the top holes, seen few...

What did you plan with the plate light? I wanted something stealty, so just ended up using some generic plate bolt lights from Autoilevan ihmisen tavaratalo ;)

It is there, quite small, maybe 50mm long and 5mm thick. Three leds under clear lens.

Bought it from Motonet, something like 10€, i used two of those when plate lights went out from our Chrysler Voyager, typical that those corrode away and lenses drop, no problems after those leds.

Plate light is this, brand is "Forte" or something.

DSC_0411_zpsaecky2hd.jpg

Finished today :icon_cheers:

Had to do some wiring, those tail light wires were so thin that i was a little bit skeptic about the proper connection.

DSC_0414_zps4mxlvtvp.jpg

I made the connections with these Yamaha (shame on me) marine connectors.

DSC_0416_zps4sjunci2.jpg

DSC_0418_zpshdnkejoo.jpg

These indicators will go as soon as those new ones arrive from far east.

DSC_0415_zpsomsn984w.jpg

Starting to look little bit more organised.

DSC_0425_zpsvqq1i1ul.jpg

This was my "brain fart", now when reg was there i added this, connection not made yet (who knows when) but now it is there.

DSC_0427_zpsjn9pv3d7.jpg

Plate is attached with these.

DSC_0428_zpshbf2os0b.jpg

DSC_0429_zpsuvtydvpm.jpg

Washed and ready to go.

DSC_0434_zpsprx3fmgb.jpg

Added a small piece of rubber for undertray extension.

DSC_0441_zpsnnuwv0yw.jpg

DSC_0442_zpslxivops7.jpg

Left overs, Ermax undertray, led tail light and what is left from that plastic part.

DSC_0446_zps14ff0uou.jpg

Looking good Henri.

1 person likes this

Nice job :)

1 person likes this

Nice and neat job.very impress with brightness of lights :niceone:

1 person likes this

Lookin' good! :banana2:

1 person likes this

excelente btrabajo !!!!

1 person likes this