Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Dr. Ergal

X11 Rebirth

42 posts in this topic

Hi everybody

in November I bougth a second-hand black X11 (fourth-hand, to be honest  :-  )

This bike has been cheap, but its conditions were noto so good.
I started to update it from frontside, replacing headlamp and steering yokes...

I used Blackbird yokes, more elegant, lighter and lower

PB100028.jpg

Then, I started working on PAIR, VENT (all removed), spark plugs and trottle cables (I removed return cable, decreasing friction)

P1020038.jpg

Going on... I replaced the old and tired shock absorber with the unit coming from my old CBR929.
It's old too, but has been revised and modified by Mauro Noccioli's team (ex mechanical teamleade of Loris Capirossi in 250cc GP championship)

To achieve the same axis distance I made a new connection, and with some shims I played with frame set-up

P1020036.jpg

P1020040.jpg

I replaced the footrests with Blackbird units; 60gr lighter each and 1cm smaller, improving the foot position

P1020042.jpg

So far, so good...

Now the problems begin.
I was going to replace transmission chain, and I found the rear wheel bearings completely rusted.
I removed them (fortunately, I saved all the equipment of my last job, a Motorcycle Workshop) and I found the internal spacer completely rusted also, and a lot of water inside the hub !!!  :surprise:  :huh: 

Ok, no panic; bearings are cheap and easy to install; this is a minor problem.
I only hope to find some time to go on with the operations, because my job get me very busy...

Se you soon !!!  :niceone2:

Edited by Dr. Ergal

VERY GOOD PAGE CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT INSTALMENT.PS FIREBLADE FOOTREST FIT ALSO.

Good idea; I have Fireblade footrests also.
Tomorrow morning I will try...  :whistle:

In my profile there's the address of my blog; it's written in italian, sorry, but pics are self-explaining  :niceone2:

Good job, well done.

Some problem, this morning: the retaining screw of the pinion is locked.
Damn !! I was so happy to fix this... :)

P1040036.jpg

Ah... speaking about PAIR and VENT, there's a modification that will generate some discussion, sure.
I removed the rubber snorkels, to give more air to K&N filter.
Let's see how it works...

P7280009.jpg

Front lamp (coming from a Piaggio Carnaby 300), steering yoke and handlebars (coming from CBR1100XX)!!! Yeeppaaaa !!!  :rock-on:

III_2.jpg

III_1.jpg

III_3.jpg

Looking good Gianfranco, keep us updated with your progress.

Some news, guys  :)

Nothing especial, 'cuz I have a very few time for my garage, but I'm going close to the conclusion

I put red protection on brake hoses...

PB010003.jpg

just in pendant with ergal bolting everywhere (please, remind my nick...)  :sunny:

PB010001.jpg

PB010005.jpg

PB050001.jpg

PB010010.jpg

and so on, "ergalizing" everything :headbang: ... 

soon, mufflers, transmission chain and tyres, coming from my racing XX  :rock-on:

Stay tuned !!!  :niceone:

If you ever get knocked off your x11 because they did not see you Gianfranco............................They are lying

I have seen less colours in a rainbow :biggrin3d: 

You still have to see my XX  :sunny:  :icon_biggrin:

_D3M5272.jpg

Step%25203_12_03_09%2520012.jpg

O0

Finally, after a very long business trip between Brazil, Nicaragua and Ecuador, this weekend I worked in my garage...  :headbang:

At first, a lovely jewel for left bar...  :wow3:

P3230004.jpg

P3230003.jpg

It's a stunning NIssin 19x21 radial pump, with bolt-on stop-switch. It's the same I mounted on my racing XX, and I know how powerful it can be...  :rock-on:

After that, I installed the MASS mufflers coming from my XX (that now fits a 4-1 Akra full system)

P3230005.jpg

...and a very very IMPORTANT detail  :D

P3230006.jpg

I know what You're thinking, and I'm right with You: I'm a fucking ecocentric  :sunny:  :biggrin3d:

Finally, new oil and new filter...

P3230008.jpg

To complete, I only miss to replace tyres (Dunlop D211 are coming) and forl oil, and my X11 will be ready !!!  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:

1 person likes this

Very nice, now ENJOY!

I GOT IT !!!  :banana:

Today, finally I completed my X11.
New tyres (not exactly new: they come from my Racing XX, that now fits D211 GP Racer), some details and my X11 is ready for the street.
Of course, the engine started at first trial, choking just a couple of seconds before to scream out off his new MASS mufflers.
I'm looking forward to use it, finally.

P4010029.jpg

P4010030.jpg

P4010031.jpg

P4010032.jpg

P4010034.jpg

See you soon for my review about how it works  :niceone:

Edited by Dr. Ergal

you lucky fella, we're still waiting on the weather.

X11 looks great!

Looking forward to the Doctors diagnosis. :niceone2: 

I had a quick "sporty" trip with my X in a very tight road, full of hairpins in rapid sequence.
A type of road where bikes like the big X cannot work well, You could think...

mappa_trentobondone.jpg

Well... I had much much much fun !!!!  :headbang: 

The X is stable, and this is normal, but working properly with legs you can catch it into corners with no problems, dragging your knees even in tight hairpins.
The engine is great, with a massive torque that extracts the bike outside bends like a catapult !!  :rock-on: 
To be honest, maybe the throttle response is just a bit immediate, even sudden, I could say, but probably it's just matter to reset my mind.
Only bad side comes from rear suspension, too rigid and withour progression, but I'm working on it...  B) 

I'm happier than ever, with my amazing X !!!  :niceone:

X11_Pausa.jpg

Edited by Dr. Ergal
2 people like this

i really enjoy what you have done to your bike, especially the X11 handlebar. this is one of the mod i'd like to do to my bike. i wonder what part did you put on your x11? only the 2 alf handlebar + superior fork plate (handlebar support)? i already have convert my x11 to hydraulique cluth.

Yes, I installed top yokes and handlebars coming from my BlackBird. Pieces are bolt-on, but you will have to adjust the new position for dashboard and fine work on brakepump to avoid interpherences with dashboard itself and to match dashboard plate with ignition key group..

You ahev two ways:

1) heavily raise up dashboard from yoke (but will risk to have a meltin pot of pieces badly accorded)
2) machine and modify rear part of dashborda to follow BB top yoke profile.

I made as per second way; much more wor, but in the end you will get a global arrangement perfectly matching, without looking to be a bad patchwork.

Have a look on my blog to have an idea:

www.dr-ergal.blogspot.com

I'm also thinking about a transplant of swingarm with my Blackbird unit (that now fits a Fireblade unit) that perfecly fits on X11 frame connection but also has progressive pro-link system. Stay tuned :-)

Yes, I installed top yokes and handlebars coming from my BlackBird. Pieces are bolt-on, but you will have to adjust the new position for dashboard and fine work on brakepump to avoid interpherences with dashboard itself and to match dashboard plate with ignition key group..

You ahev two ways:

1) heavily raise up dashboard from yoke (but will risk to have a meltin pot of pieces badly accorded)
2) machine and modify rear part of dashborda to follow BB top yoke profile.

I made as per second way; much more wor, but in the end you will get a global arrangement perfectly matching, without looking to be a bad patchwork.

Have a look on my blog to have an idea:

www.dr-ergal.blogspot.com

I'm also thinking about a transplant of swingarm with my Blackbird unit (that now fits a Fireblade unit) that perfecly fits on X11 frame connection but also has progressive pro-link system. Stay tuned :-)

PS: why hydraulic clutch? Blackbird system is bolt-on, ok... but why? X11 Cable clutch is smooth enough. Why add weight to install hydrailuc system?

mappa_trentobondone.jpg

If you dont look at the scale of the map, looks like some ones walking route from the pub to home........

Must have been fun  :niceone: 

i don't really care about the weight, the engine is full of torque. i hate cable system since the cable broke last year.

does the new yoke modify the height of the bike? the fork tube seem to be a little higher than stock.

i'm thinking about remove brake system (dual-cbs), there is a kit http://www.jaws-motorcycles.co.uk/bird2.htm#link

Edited by Roadmaster

Yes... the new bars layout modifies the total height, but at the contrary: now bike is much LOWER, because the forks must be shifted up (and so, the front sfifts down) to let the BB bars embrace fork cans, while on stock layout there's and additional plate where bars are bolted on.

PB100028.jpg

To remove D-CBS (good idea, but only in the way to use the bike sportly, to me), You could avoid additional patchwork such as D-link and apply a modification like what I made on my BB at "Step 1".

http://dr-ergal.blogspot.com/2008/12/step-1.html

CBR600F forks are perfectly bolt-on for X11 and BB and springs are the exactly same, in term of rigidity. In this way all the braking system will be semplified  :niceone2:

Edited by Dr. Ergal

Yes... the new bars layout modifies the total height, but at the contrary: now bike is much LOWER, because the forks must be shifted up (and so, the front sfifts down) to let the BB bars embrace fork cans, while on stock layout there's and additional plate where bars are bolted on.

that's what i mean, top of fork tube are seem to be higher so bike is lowered. but it's not a good thing to me. i don't want to modify geometry of the bike (caster angle). shame

To remove D-CBS (good idea, but only in the way to use the bike sportly, to me), You could avoid additional patchwork such as D-link and apply a modification like what I made on my BB at "Step 1".

since i have the x11, i don't really like the feeling of the brakes. it's ok when you drive very cool, but in some cases bike have bad reaction and more when you drive it harder or under .... snow... (i use it everyday to go to work)

CBR600F forks are perfectly bolt-on for X11 and BB and springs are the exactly same, in term of rigidity. In this way all the braking system will be semplified

when you remove all system, you have to modify to keep the 3 pistons working. (sorry i don't read italian, i will try to translate with google) you're talking about 600 cbrf front fork, but what year?