Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maintenanceman

Changed regulator, noticed a crack in the back of the frame!

19 posts in this topic

Burned my regulator some time ago, well it was coming, those ermax rear indicators block cooling from the regulator, they can go now...

Took a risk and ordered "aftermarket" regulator, 100e against OEM 300e, Made in USA, manufactured in China...

I think that it is BB specified even it was sold for X-11.

Had to cut those three yellow wires and connect them to original wire harness, that other connector was "plug and play".

I used crimp connectors that have a heat shrink tube and heat active glue inside.

See the photos.

Also noticed that passenger handle attachment in the back of the frame is cracked, now it is easy to fix, it seems that the weld has never melted properly, soon it is...

Sorry again about the phone photos.

21062011180.jpg

21062011182.jpg

21062011183.jpg

21062011185.jpg

21062011187.jpg

21062011188.jpg

And the frame.

21062011171.jpg

21062011172.jpg

21062011174.jpg

Regulator looks good, consider mounting it on a hefty piece of steel to act as a heat sink.

Rear grab handle mounting was designed by Hondas apprentice after a heavy night on the saki... put a fillet of steel into the box section underneath, and weld it up.

I will make it stronger, for sure :)

Fixed the damages, just now remembered add photos :)

03072011207.jpg

03072011210.jpg

03072011211.jpg

03072011212.jpg

03072011214.jpg

03072011215.jpg

03072011216.jpg

03072011217.jpg

nice job, well done. lets hope the "Chinese" item lasts.

EXCELLENT PICS HENRI!!!!!

I was looking for pictures of the subframe fix a little while back.with Eddy's help but they have now gone so these new pictures will be of benefit to newbies without the fix.

Also excellent pics of the regulator :goodpost:

you did a lovely job of that mate, nice one :niceone2:

Mine has gone the same way....snapped at the weld....noticed top box wobbling this morning....anyone near Halifax handy with a welder...?

Sorry to hear that Bob, best we all check ours.

Just checked mine and it's still OK but I did reinforce it so that I could carry all my camping gear when I went to Scotland. 

My frame snapped in exactly the same place earlier this year. Must be very weak at the joint.

I bought a cheap stick welder and repaired it myself. Doesn't look as neat as that though

is this a common fault ? will er'indoors have to worry about skid marks after going pillion ? :)

They've either all cracked or are going to!

The thing is when it break if you have weighth on it EG rack + top box it can crack your tail unit so better having it done.I alway jam steel into the box section under it and weld it.

do I just reinforce the welds even it it looks ok ?
usually 2 up when go out and not worth the headwork if she finds out she gonna have unexpected big black rubber in the nether regions - fnaar fnaar

Better safe than sorry, i'd get it strengthened.

finally had welder free in work to sort this - looks like apprentice welded these on as after thought..... fully welded now with brace on subframe.
IMAG1004.jpgIMAG1005.jpg

Did anyone grab this page before Photobucket got greedy? I'd love to see the pics to understand better what I need to look at on mine, and what the fix is.

Ta in advance

Ask Henri nicely, I think he has some re-weld pics.